Whether you’re applying a self tan in the comfort of your own home or popping into your local SKT salon for a professional MineTan spray tan, the secret to perfect tan results that are even and long lasting lies in what you do before & after tanning. Here are some key tips for preparing your skin for a tan, looking after it while it develops & what to do to maintain your results in the days following.
- Exfoliate and moisturize 24 hours before you apply your self tan, paying particular attention to elbows, knees, ankles and problem dry areas.
This ensures your skin is perfectly prepared for the tan (a bit like sanding a wall before painting)
- Wax or shave at least 48 hours prior to treatment.
This allows the pores time to close. This will help avoid dark dots in your pores! Its else ensures you don't accidentally shave after you've been sprayed which can ruin the tan.
- For the entire 24 hours before you apply your self tan avoid using bar soaps, high pH shower products, oil based products or in-shower moisturizers.
These products may act as a barrier against your skin and can prevent the fast acting tanning agents to develop.
- If you’re going to a salon, ensure you follow the above tips as well as bringing along loose clothing to put on after your appointment and if you get sprayed topless or naked, try to avoid putting your underwear back on.
Wearing tight clothing or underwear after your tan can cause rubbing and may cause marks or imperfections.
- After letting the tan develop for 1-3+ hours, shower normally, with warm water. (Not too hot)
The brown bronzers will wash away, while the fast tan actives continue to work and deepen over the next 24 hours.
- It is ok to use shower gel to help loosen stubborn bronzers
Especially if you leave the tan on overnight you may need a little help getting the bronzer off. If you see streaks after your first shower its usually because you haven't rinsed all the bronzer off properly, so jump back in the shower and give yourself a good wash.
- Moisturize everyday after applying your self tan. We recommend using a gradual tan product.
This will keep your skin hydrated while also topping up the color of your tan for longer lasting results.
- After day 5, exfoliate with a soft body polish on a daily basis, to help your skin absorb even more moisturizer and keep it looking and feeling gorgeous.
This also helps the tan fade naturally, rather than in patches.